Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Curnins Speaking at Town Meeting

As I predicted, the Court of Appeals turned down the Curnins motion for an en banc rehearing of the denial of their lawsuit trying to force the town to let them speak at town meetings. Now, according to the local paper, they've filed an appeal with the U.S. Supreme Court. My money says the Supreme Court will turn down that appeal. But the town will have to pay more legal fees to defend against the appeal.

I've noted before that I like the Curnins. I even have some sympathy for the proposition that nonvoters should be able to speak at town meetings. But when I asked Tom Curnin some time ago to drop the lawsuit in exchange for my helping to get the town to agree to let nonvoters speak, he turned me down. Therefore, my sympathy has disappeared. Maybe the town should let nonvoters speak only if the town is first reimbursed for all the costs of defending this silly and hopeless lawsuit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that all tax payers should be allowed the opp. to speak to issues at town meeting, with in reason, but not allowed to vote unless they are registered voters of the town. The town should wake up to the fact that they are tax payers and we are in the 21 st cent.
JDW

Anonymous said...

My family and I have been coming to Prospect Lake since 1985, for several years as a renter, and since 1993 as the owner of a house on the lake.

Consider Egremont's message to non-resident taxpayers like me:

1. You will pay a higher tax rate for your property than your neighbors who are rsidents.
2. You will pay a tax on the furnishings and equipment in/on your Egremont propeerty. Your resident neighbors pay no such tax.
3. You are not allowed to vote.
4. You are not allowed to speak at town meetings.

What conclusion can be drawn from these twon policies and decisions? What message?

The town clearly does not mind that a significant slice of its taxpayers are treated unfairly. "Not being permitted to speak" is such an OUTRAGE in our culture that it leaves me the way Egremont wants me - speechless.