Monday, May 17, 2010

Town Meeting

I am very much a democrat (lower case "d"), and the conduct of the town meeting always upsets me because its anti-democratic.
First, a relatively small number of people - less than 10% of the town's voters - make legislative decisions that bind everyone. That often leads to decisions at the town meeting that the voters who weren't there would have opposed in large numbers. Not right.
Second, the voters who are in attendance often don't have a clue as to what particular items on the agenda are about. That's especially the case when the matter is complicated (and,worse, when the board proposing it makes it complicated) and no one adequately explains what its real impact is. Not right.
I am particularly upset at the way the budget was handled at the last meeting. In all the years I've been going to town meetings, a voter was allowed to put a "hold" on a line item and then that item would be separately discussed and voted on. But this year John Walther put holds on a number of items (and I recall that someone else put holds on a an item or two), but the budget was voted on as a whole, with no separate vote on the held items. So there was no point to having holds. Not fair.
We need to revamp the town meeting process. We need the warrant to in English, not legalese. We need to know how the members of the selectboard voted on each item, and why. We need simple explanations of items on the agenda. And where an item is controversial, we need statements for and against, just like the state does on statewide referendum items. And we need some way that the voters and the people on the stage can hear and understand each other, which often isn't the case.

1 comment:

KevinZurrin said...

Richard
I say this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek;-? You have an amazing grasp for the obvious. The problem of voter disinterest is nationwide, not just local. However, When I saw the disappointment on Bruce Cumsky's face when the town voted down the raise and appropriate article on the water issue I realized that this is what has been missing from government. We as "THE PEOPLE" have to get involved with the running of our government. For instance, until you mentioned it I didn't realize that there was an article in the warrant to have the water users pay for their own water. Perhaps if that fact were publicized more broadly the townspeople may have showed up in droves to vote the other articles down. I feel that there was an even more suspicious slight of hand perpetrated on the town. Frankly I'm offended. Had I known this fact a couple months ago I would have put the information out there in bulk. Believe me, from this point forward I will be aware and active in disseminating the information to the town.
KevinZurrin